Good food makes every day better. All the more if it's also comforting and reminds you of the good old days. Granted, you can't spend each day eating your mother's cooking, but you can surely try your hand at some slow-cooking recipes that will make your home smell like heaven.
Moreover, when your friends come over on the weekend, comfort foods, like beef short ribs soup, are best for giving them that mouth-watering taste. You can elevate these dishes using Keith Lorren all-purpose seasoning powder.
Below, we have mentioned the recipe for cooking the best beef short ribs soup!
Short rib marinade
- 1 ¾ lb chuck short ribs
- 1/3 cup dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 5 tablespoons Spice King Beef Stew Oxtail Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon whole all spice
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 lb beef neck bones/oxtails
- 4-5 stalks of celery
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 carrots cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 large peeled potatoes and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 large onions cut into halves
- 2 tablespoons Spice King Beef Stew & Oxtail Seasoning
- 1 gallon of water
- Minced fresh parsley for garnish
Fried onion garnish
- Generous sprinkle of Spice King Gourmet Poultry Seasoning
- 1 onion cut into thin strips
- 1-2 cups of corn starch
- 2-3 tablespoons of Half & Half cream
Herbed pesto garnish
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced sundried tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon Spice King Gourmet Poultry Seasoning
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced tarragon
- ½ teaspoon Spice King Seasoned Sea Salt
- A squeeze of fresh lemon juice
For the fried onions
- Season the onion strips thoroughly using Spice King Gourmet Poultry Seasoning. Add the strips in two parts and shake them for a rich coating.
- Toss in the cornstarch and ensure they are well-coated.
- Shake off the excess cornstarch of the onions and fry them in hot oil until they turn golden brown. Then, take them out from the oil and place them onto a napkin.
- Lightly season the strips using Spice King Seasoned Salt.
For the herb pesto garnish
- Thoroughly mix all the ingredients.
For the soup
- Season the ribs with the marinade ingredients and let them marinate overnight or for at least 2 hours.
- Place a cast-iron skillet on high heat, add some oil and place the onions flat side down into the pan. Brûlée the onion bottoms and set them aside.
- Place a large pot on medium heat, add some oil, and place the beef bones on all sides until they turn deep brown.
- Add the marinated ribs and mix them with marinade, Brulee onions, celery, gelatin, parsley, and ½ gallon of water.
- Let them simmer for 3 hours until the ribs are tender. While cooking, maintain the water level by gradually adding the remaining water.
- Take out the ribs from the soup and set them aside while keeping them intact.
- Strain and discard the solids from the soup, leaving you with a rich broth.
- Add carrots, potatoes, two tablespoons of Spice King Beef Stew & Oxtail Seasoning, and salt and pepper into the broth. Let the broth cook until the carrots and potatoes are tender.
- Place a non-stick skillet on medium-high heat and dry the ribs using a napkin.
- Add 4 tablespoons of butter and one large thyme sprig to the skillet.
- Season the ribs with Spice King Grilled Steak & Burger Seasoning.
- Place the ribs fat side down on the skillet and let it turn brown. Base them with butter while they are cooking. Then, take them off the heat and set them aside. Remember to not flip the ribs over until they are brown.
- For plating the soup, place 2 pieces of potatoes in the center of the bowl. Add 4 carrot slices on the sides.
- Serve the broth in the bowl; make sure the carrots and potatoes are visible.
- Place a seared rib on potatoes and drizzle the herb pesto over the rib.
- Place the fried onions over the soup and sprinkle minced parsley over it. Enjoy!