Just add css and js
Skip to content
Italian Spaghetti with Clams
- 2 1/2 lbs clams
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large tomato
- 1 shallot minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup clam juice
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 cup parsley sprigs (or a combination of parsley, basil, tarragon)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Spice King Gourmet Seafood Seasoning
- salt to taste
- 2-3 tablespoon whole butter
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Place clams in a colander and rinse off under running water. (Clams will close their shells if they are fresh. Throw away any clams that do not close.)
- Bring to a boil 4 quarts of water and 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Pour in pasta and cook until al dente.
- While water is heating continue the sauce preparation.
- Peel garlic, slice, and cut into thin strips.
- Finely dice tomato.
- In a wide pot or pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil.
- Add wet clams, clam juice, wine, and heat for about 5 minutes or until clams open. (Throw away clams that do not open.)
- Reduce liquid by 1 third and reserve liquid for later use.
- Remove clams from pan.
- Pull the remaining clams from their shells with a fork or kitchen tweezers, leaving a few clams in the shells for decoration. Set aside.
- Pour the cooking liquid through a paper filter to remove any sand.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the pot.
- Add the shallots, garlic, and sauté for about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes ketchup, and Spice King Gourmet Seafood Seasoning, then add cooking liquid, clams, pepper flakes/black pepper, salt to taste and simmer uncovered for about 3 minutes.
- Drain al dente pasta in a colander.
- Mix well with the sauce and toss in 2 tablespoons of whole butter so that it coats the pasta.
- Transfer pasta to warm plates and place clams in shell on top as decoration.
- Optional: serve with breadcrumbs toasted in butter as a garnish.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.