Over 100,000 people have searched and watched Keith Lorren's Jamaican beef patty video (his first video) and exclaimed how excellent his patty crust was. Well, Keith finally decided to share his pie crust recipe with the world and here it is.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash of Spice King Gourmet Dessert Spice
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup butter cut into tablespoons and frozen
- 4 tablespoons butter flavored crisco shortening frozen
- 4 tablespoons lard frozen (from rendered bacon)
- 2-4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 teaspoon butter flavor
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 egg, beaten
- Place butter, crisco and lard in freezer for 15 minutes.
- When ready to use, remove and cut both into small pieces.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, cornstarch and salt by pulsing 3 to 4 times.
- Add butter and pulse 5 to 6 times until texture looks mealy.
- Add lard/crisco and pulse another 3 to 4 times. There should be pea sized chunks of fat in flour mixture.
- Whisk egg, butter flavor, vinegar and water.
- Place flour mixture in large bowl.
- Sprinkle approximately 4 to 7 tablespoons of this egg, water, vinegar mixture, a little at a time, mixing gently with a fork. (The key to this is, you do not want a wet dough, and you do not want to over mix. This will cause crust to be tough.)
- Place this dough into plastic wrap or plastic bag, chill in refrigerator for at least 20 minutes. (May also be frozen for a few weeks at this stage for future use).
- Remove from refrigerator, cut in half, and place each piece between 2 pieces of wax paper.
- Roll out to fit your pie pan.
This makes 2 pie crusts or one double pie crust.