Just add css and js
Skip to content
Keith Lorren's Indian Chicken Biryani Rice
- 1 tablespoon Spice King All Purpose Seasoning
- 5 lbs maple leaf duck cut into stew size pieces (or chicken)
- 5 cloves
- 6 cardamon pods
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup fried shallots
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 stick butter
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 inch piece of ginger finely minced
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1 bunch mint chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 star anise
- 1/2 teaspoon dried fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons saffron soaked in ¼ cup of water
- 1 chicken bouillon
- 1 bunch scallions
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups basmati rice soaked for 30 minutes to 1 hour and rinsed several times
- 2 cucumbers – peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash, trim, and cut the chicken into stew sized pieces.
- In a skillet, saute butter until slightly toasted.
- Add cashews and saute until toasted. Then remove nuts from butter.
- Add oil and spices and toast lightly until fragrant.
- Add chicken, onions, chili pepper to skillet and toss to evenly coat meat with spices and oil.
- Add 1/2 of the cilantro, scallions, mint and yogurt.
- Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- While chicken is simmering, begin cooking rice in boiling salted water until 50% cooked, about 10 minutes.
- When 50% cooked, drain remaining water from rice.
- Adjust the flavor of the chicken with salt, if desired.
- In a dutch oven, place 1/2 of the chicken on the bottom of the pan.
- Add a layer of 1/2 of the rice.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the remaining mint/cilantro, fried shallots, scallions, raisins, cashews, and drizzle with saffron water.
- Place the final layer of chicken on top and Add the final layer of rice.
- Sprinkle remaining mint/cilantro, fried shallots, scallions, raisins, cashews and drizzle saffron water over the top.
- Cover top of pot tightly with foil.
- Press lid firmly in place. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until rice is fluffy and fully cooked.
- Serve with avocado and tomato salad drizzled with olive oil, salt/pepper, and cucumber raita.
PREPARE THE CUCUMBER RAITA
- Stir together the cucumber, yogurt, lemon juice, mint, sugar, and salt in a bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours, preferably overnight.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.