Just add css and js
Skip to content
Spice King’s African Chicken & Peanut Stew
- 2.5 lbs of chicken parts (with bones)
- 1 lemon
- Cooking oil: red palm oil, or olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 inch piece of ginger minced
- 1 whole scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 tablespoon Spice King All Purpose Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Berbere spice
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1 large onion
- 1 red bell pepper medium diced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons smooth peanut butter (heaping) (you may use chunky if you prefer)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2-3 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (to balance flavor)
- 4 cups hot water or rich chicken broth
- 2 cups fresh spinach (other vegetables traditionally used are Okra, etc)
- 1 large sweet potato cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE GARNISH
- Chopped peanuts, chopped scallions, chopped cilantro (optional)
- Steamed jasmine rice balls, or steamed jasmine rice
- Clean and wash chicken parts with water and fresh lemon juice.
- Drain chicken, and season with 1 tablespoon of Spice King All Purpose Seasoning, 1 teaspoon salt, allspice berries. Marinate overnight.
- In a food processor, make a seasoning paste by adding add garlic cloves, ginger, onion, scotch bonnet pepper, chicken bouillon, and black pepper.
- Heat a pot on medium high with desired amount of oil (enough to coat the bottom to prevent sticking).
- Add seasoned chicken and brown slightly (about 5 minutes).
- Add the seasoning paste and peanut butter and mix well.
- Add the berbere spice and grated nutmeg and mix well.
- Add water or stock and allow chicken to cook until tender (about 35-45 minutes).
- Add chopped sweet potato and continue cooking until tender.
- In a separate pan, sauté the bell pepper until tender and add to pot.
- Add chopped spinach leaves and swirl the pot so that spinach slightly wilts and remove from heat.
- Adjust flavor with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with chopped peanuts, chopped scallions, chopped cilantro (optional).
- Serve with steamed jasmine rice balls, or steamed jasmine rice.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.