This recipe was adapted from my late grandma June. My favorite pastime was spending time with her and eating her home cooked dressing and turkey wings. This is a must have during any soul food dinner where baked chicken, or turkey is served! This dressing can also be made with oysters, shrimp and crab meat.
FOR THE CORNBREAD
- 4 cups Martha white self rising corn meal
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup wate
- 1/2 cup oi
- 2 eggs
FOR THE DRESSING
- 6 cups crumpled corn brea
- 3 cup Pepperidge Farm seasoned white bread stuffing
- 1 lb Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 stalks of celery chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons The Spice King Gourmet Poultry Seasoning
- 4-5 cups broth (fortified with turkey or chicken parts, neck, back, wings, gizzards, skin, etc, celery, onion)
- 2 tablespoon white truffle oil drizzled on top of casserole before baking
- Paprika for color
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 egg
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Grease a 16-inch casserole dish or (2) 8-inch square pans.
- Place in oven to heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Pour all ingredients into hot greased pan.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
PREPARE THE DRESSING
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook sausage in a skillet until brown and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt butter and sauté vegetables.
- Cook until tender and remove from heat.
- In a food processor, add cooked vegetables and cooked sausage and pulse until finely chopped.
- Add mixture to crumpled cornbread and bread stuffing mixture. Mix well.
- Add egg along with broth until you reach a desired moist consistency. Fold in fresh parsley.
- Place stuffing in a baking dish and spread evenly.
- Drizzle top with 2 tablespoons of truffle oil.
- Garnish lightly with paprika.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees or until brown.