The Spice King’s Southern Hoe Cakes Serve with any southern meal! Goes especially great with collard greens and black eyed peas.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar, onions.
- Measure out the buttermilk in a liquid measuring cup, and add to that the water, flavoring, and oil; blend well.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Heat oil and butter in a cast iron skillet over medium to medium high and drop batter by about 1/8 cup measures into the hot skillet to form small medallions.
- Fry until brown and crisp, turn and brown the other side.
- Remove and let drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately with warm maple syrup for breakfast or as a snack, or dip ’em in a mess o’ greens to sop up that pot likker (juice from the greens)!