Just add css and js
Skip to content
Spice King’s Lentil & Spinach Soup
- 1 teaspoon Spice King All Purpose Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 4 cups water, divided
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup French green (Le Puy) or brown lentils
- 3 large carrots diced
- 1 medium Yukon Gold potato, scrubbed
- 1 lb gently packed spinach any tough stems trimmed
- 4 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth,
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, lightly toasted and ground
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, minced
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or more to taste
- Crumbled feta cheese for garnish
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Add onions and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, add 2 tablespoons water and cover.
- Cook, stirring frequently until the pan cools down, and then occasionally, always covering the pan again, until the onions are greatly reduced and have a deep caramel color, 25 to 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rinse lentils and pick out any small stones.
- Combine the lentils with the remaining 4 cups water in a soup pot or Dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Cut potato into 1/2 inch dices.
- Chop spinach; set aside.
- When the lentils have cooked for 20 minutes, stir in potato, scallions, broth and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, Spice King All Purpose Seasoning and return to a gentle simmer.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in cumin and coriander.
- When the onions are caramelized, stir a little of the simmering liquid into them and add them to the soup.
- Return to a simmer, cover and cook 5 minutes more.
- Stir in the reserved spinach, cilantro, mint, jalapeño and pepper.
- Return to a simmer, cover and cook until the spinach is tender but still bright green, about 5 minutes more.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Taste and add more lemon juice and/or pepper, if desired.
- Garnish each bowl of soup with a drizzle of olive oil, crusty bread, and crumbled feta cheese.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.